Sunday, September 13, 2009

Veggies for Dinner

Late Saturday night I decided to rearrange everything in the kitchen and dining rooms, which meant living in a disaster zone for most of Sunday.

Luckily, the garden delivered a delicious bounty for dinner. We pulled a quart of tomatos, another quart of okra and 6-7 green peppers.

We've been rotating between BLT's, fried or poached egg and tomato sandwiches, and bean tostadas these days.

We're enjoying fresh Chicken a la King Shirley, too. It's one of Brent's mom's classic recipes. The peppers are sauteed with leftover rotisserie chicken in a bit of EVOO and butter, then mixed with a can of cream of chicken soup. Served over toast it is a quick and easy comfort food on cool and rainy autumn evenings.

Every sandwich that comes out of the kitchen is accompanied by a pickle these days - either dill okra, sweet cucumber or garlic-dilled mixed veggie.
Dylan's favorite "food group" is fried okra, so we serve that up at least once a week. The okra has been producing like crazy, so we've been chopping and freezing it for gumbo this fall and winter - I can hardly wait for the first batch! Same with the green peppers for winter chili.

We love fresh tomatos, so I haven't canned too many 'maters, but I believe this week I'll need to oven roast a round or two...

Since the weather has cooled a bit and the house can use a bit of heat in the morning, I predict I'll bake up a batch of my cousin Charissa's granola. She serves it up fresh at Headwaters B&B in Gardner, MT, outside the North Gate of Yellowstone Park. For the recipe, check out her website at http://www.headwatersbandb.com/

Now it's off to finish reorganizing the kitchen. I was just so excited to post pics of our weekend veggies. Thank the Lord for providing, since my range was pretty much MIA today!

No comments:

Post a Comment